Sunday 26 April 2015

Pick Me Up


Pick Me Up is a Graphics Art Festival which features new illustration, graphic design and related disciplines to inspire and delight. As this was my first experience of the festival I was overwhelmed with the amount of work it had to offer with each one having their own unique style and way of working. I feel some designs stood out more than others based on my personal preferences to work - Here are some of my favourites from the event which has inspired me for my own future designs. 
Authors own image
I really enjoyed this work by Luke Evans a recent Graphic Design and Photography student. At first glance I was unsure of the medium or what the visual was representing. However, as I read into his work and the process he uses I discovered he is influenced by science and creates the above visual with 500,000 volts and the outcome is the result of static electricity. I really enjoy the delicate vein like patterns throughout the unusual and unique print; I also like the different
type of process Luke has explored to create such magical prints.

Authors own image





Thomas Lamadieu
I was really drawn in by Thomas’s work because of the fun and quirky style; I enjoy how he combines illustration with photography. I feel the minimal colour palette also makes the visuals successful as the illustrations work in harmony with the photograph’s instead of being to chaotic and taking all the attention. 


Authors own image


Authors own image
Rop Van Mierlo
I was really drawn in by Mierlo’s work because of the large amount of movement and texture present throughout each piece. I really like how the paint of the two deers merge together to create interesting and delicate forms, I also feel the motion process enhances the fluffy like texture of the animals. Mierlo said “In most cases I put a process in motion where I do not have full control over the end result. I create a gap, an uncertainty between the act of making and the actual outcome.” I feel Mierlo’s work is a good representation of how work and outcomes do not have to be ‘perfect’ or ‘expected’ to be successful or interesting. I also really enjoyed the visual of the pigeon because the variety of merging colours create movement but would also be really difficult to recreate using a controlled and predictable technique. Overall I feel his work has pushed boundaries as even him as the designer does not know what the final outcome will be - this increases the unique style of his work as it means no else would be able to recreate the work; not even the designer himself. 

Authors own image

Laura Jouan
I was drawn into Laura’s work mainly by the bright, vibrant colours, when observing each outcome I was fascinated by the layering technique and texture. The grid like texture really stood out and created a unique visual, I also felt the diverging lines worked well to combine all the elements involved in the one piece. Laura described her work as ‘De-composing and Re-composing’ her surroundings and environment. I really enjoy this idea of taking something you know so well and transforming it into something completely new. I feel Laura’s work has inspired me to look around me and constantly absorb what is happening as one day it may play an important role in your designs. 
Authors own image
Jennifer Argo
page1image1248
I really enjoyed the delicate and chaotic visual of Jennifer’s graphite illustrations; I discovered they were inspired by her recent documentation of glaciers and geology in Iceland. She said ‘I combine structural elements of natural systems and formations that represent timeless networks of strength and longevity.’ I really enjoy how she has transformed a photographic study into an illustrated one and how she has been inspired by the natural forms. 
Authors own image
Laura Callaghan
Laura’s work was the first displayed as you entered Pick Me Up, I was really intrigued by the variety of colours and the scenes the characters have been captured in. Laura suggested she likes the viewer to create their own story for her characters; she likes to fill each illustration with detail, narrative clues and objects to create a sense of mystery and unease. 


No comments:

Post a Comment