Tuesday 31 March 2015

Victoria and Albert Visit

Authors own image
Authors own image
(Recycled garments)
My aim for visiting the Victoria and Albert museum consisted of looking at the embroidered and material pieces as an inspiration for using texture within my own design. The first piece I observed was from South East India and was created for the western market. I was really drawn in by the detail and its scale, I also really enjoy the use of colour and feel this contributes to the sophisticated outcome. This work has inspired me to explore a range of colours to understand what would be most successful and appropriate for my target audience.  I do not feel I would need to use as much detail as this design because I do not feel it would be appropriate for my audience. I also really enjoy this next coverlet from Bangladesh and feel it looked more textured than the previous design. I discovered it was made from recycled garments; I need to consider the materials I will use.
Authors own image

This floor spread was full of texture and colour which really stood out; I really enjoy the use of tones and feel the petals are a simple form and would be successful within my own design.
Authors own image
The boarder of this piece really draw me in because the small scale white dots created a wide range of texture. I really adore this simple technique as it would be easy to duplicate in my own work. I feel I could explore this in a range of colours and stitching. The next design is also interesting because it is simple and is easier to focus on without getting distracted - this would be more effective for my target audience.
Authors own image





The repeated pattern is eye-catching and visually interesting, again I could explore this technique to understand how it would effect my design and the awareness I am trying to create.








Whilst at the museum I decided it would be interesting to look at floral tiles - although I will not be using hard ceramics as a material  I felt it would be useful to look at the forms and colours of the designs. I really enjoy the bright, bold block colours and feel these really stood out. I feel the simple forms would be successful within my own designs and book as my target audience would be able to focus and understand the work. 
Overall I feel my visit to the museum has inspired me to start experimenting and exploring texture within my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment