Thursday 26 March 2015

Exploring New Techniques

Authors own image

































Whilst at the Victoria and Albert museum I picked up this postcard as I found the visuals really delicate and interesting. I discovered it was created by Anna Atkins and was a cyanotype of a poppy; I really enjoy the silhouette appearance and would like to explore this technique myself. I also want to explore a range of mediums to highlight what would be most successful in my own work and also what would be appropriate for my target audience. 
Authors own image

I was able to create a response to the postcard as I learnt the photographic process used to chemicals - ammonium iron(III) citrate and potassium ferricyanide, when exposed to light a cyan blue print is revealed. I used strips of grass and a leaf to create my outcomes but feel disappointed with the results as I used sunlight to expose the chemicals in comparison to Atkins who used a UV light. I do not feel I will use this technique in my final design as it was a long process and the visuals are difficult to identify.
Authors own image
Although I found my first experience of creating a cyanotype difficult I tried to revisit the technique but this time combine it with oil and ink. My intention was to create organic, abstract visuals with the use of greens and yellows; I really enjoyed the technique as it produced interesting outcomes which I could not control. However, I do not feel the visuals are 'organic' I feel they remind me of scientific microbes instead. I will not being using this technique further as I do not feel the outcomes are relevant to my subject focus.
Authors own image
My aim for this project is to push myself out of my comfort zone and not always rely on computer softwares to create design. Therefore, I have explored traditional methods using wax and ink known as 'Batik.' As I do not have the proper equipment to do this I tried to compromise with some scrap metal and by melting the wax in a sauce pan. I found it difficult to control when creating my floral visuals as the wax was so hot and dripped everywhere. However, I feel my outcomes are successful considering how they were created. I really enjoy the leaf outcomes as the material is thick and was easy to iron the wax off. I feel I could consider using this technique in my book design because although a messy outcome, I feel it would add texture and engage the children with the use of the bright ink.
Authors own image

No comments:

Post a Comment