Sunday 10 May 2015

Postcard Designs

Authors own image
As I have completed my final book design a week ahead of schedule I am considering creating a series of postcards to accompany the book. I aim to continue them in a similar style to the book and could consider having them as collectables for the children. My initial idea consists of using the children's illustrations as the main image - This will allow the children to feel involved and encourage my target audience to create their own illustrations. My initial idea for the back of the postcards involves having a stitched edge and felt all over - However this may be unsuccessful as it would defeat the intension of it being a postcard. To solve this idea I could consider using a traditional postcard design on the back; to make it unique I could do this with the acetate printing technique. I feel by using this printing technique it will make each postcard slightly different and unique which will contribute to the designs being more personal to each person.
I could also use other sentences alongside the ‘Bee Aware’ on to add variety to my design. My idea consists of having a series of postcards 1. Bee illustrations 2. Crops 3. If bees die, We die. I aim for my visuals to be simple to ensure they relate to my book design. I aim to stick to the pastel colour scheme to ensure there is a visual connection between the postcards and book design; I also want to use the same typography as I feel the handwritten style feels welcoming and not overpowering for my target audience of young children.  Although I intend for the postcard designs to be simple with minimum images on each one I feel it would be exciting if I introduced limited edition designs containing chaotic visuals. For example one design could consist of all the children's illustrations I collected in comparison to other postcards only containing one of the illustrations. 
I also explored texture on the postcards design and feel it adds a unique style to my work whilst also linking the visuals to my book outcome.
I wanted to look at existing illustrated postcards to understand what makes them unique and stand out. I discovered a wide variety and feel the way in which my typography is printed and the use of material on my postcards will make them stand out from existing ones. I also feel the range in colours that my postcards are available also contributes to them being different and unique.
I really enjoy my final crop postcard designs and feel they are successful because the visuals are interesting and stand out whilst advertising the message an creating awareness. I also really enjoy the unique print of typography as it contributes to the texture and is interesting as each print is slightly different.
No Typography?
Here are my final ‘limited edition’ postcard designs, I really enjoy the simple composition of the crops cutting through the empty space. I feel the visual is strong and did not need typography as this conflicted with the illustrations and made the surrounding space feel unbalanced.
I also feel the acetate printed backs of the postcards are successful and although some smudge and appear rough and messy I feel this contributes to the hand made style and
Authors own image
makes my work more personal for my audience.
Final Bee Postcard Designs
I really enjoy my final bee postcard outcomes as I was able to use each child’s bee illustration as the main image; I feel the range in illustrations and the children's style of drawing makes my design unique and eye-catching - I feel as each one is different my audience will feel a personal touch from the child and myself.
I feel the postcard design consisting of the sentence ‘If Bees Die, We Die’ sentence creates an impact because although simple and based around typography the
Authors own image
message is clear and true which will hopefully make my audience take the subject of bees serious and consider why creating awareness of them is so vital to our future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment